Become a Wihinipa Hinsa OA Trail Crew member
OA TRAIL CREW - $35, Fall Camp ADULTS ONLY register HERE
OA TRAIL CREW - $35, Fall Camp YOUTH ONLY register HERE
1) Be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America and a member in good standing at their local Order of the Arrow chapter. Trail Crew selection will be limited to Wihinipa Hinsa lodge members. Selection will occur 45 days prior to start of camp then selection will open to all OA lodges.
2) Be at least 13 years old the day program begins and not yet 18 by the time it ends.
3) Be physically fit, able to lift and handle materials up to 50 pounds.
4) The OA trail crew are not staff at long term camps.
5) A main priority is the set up of camp and to tear down long term camps in the Bay Area Council.
6) Work 4 hours a day on projects, provided by Camp Ranger or advisors.
7) Crews will have time for merit badge sessions of their choice.
8) Maximum 10 youths per trail crew with 4 adults.
9) Members of trail crew will camp in staff area at Camp Karankawa.
For more information on becomming a Wihinipa Hinsa OA Trail Crew member, contact Dianna Marsh at dianna.marsh @scouting.org.
Become a 2015 National OA Trail Crew member
The Order of the Arrow Trail Crew program is one of the best ways to experience Scouting's premier high adventure base, Philmont Scout Ranch. For two weeks, participants see and experience all that Philmont has to offer and much more. Under the direction of the Philmont Conservation Department, experienced Philmont staff members with strong Order of the Arrow backgrounds will lead participants on the two week trail crew and trek.
The program is a fourteen (14) day experience. The first week focuses on trail construction and maintenance under the guidance of Philmont OA Trail Crew Foremen. The second week is a seven day backpacking trek that is designed by the participants. The program is not simply building trail and hiking though, the OA Trail Crew is ultimately a journey that challenges Scouts mentally, physically, and spiritually.
The Order of the Arrow Trail Crew program is a once in a lifetime chance to experience Philmont like few others do. Don't miss out!
Participant cost is $250 for the two week experience. A $50 non-refundable deposit is required with the application. The balance of the fee is due at the time of acceptance as a participant in the program. Those applicants not accepted as participants in the program will have their deposit returned. Additional expenses, including travel to and from Philmont as well as miscellaneous purchases, are the responsibility of the participant.
2015 Trail Crew Dates
Session #1: June 8 - June 22
Session #2: June 15 - June 29
Session #3: June 22 - July 6
Session #4: June 29 - July 13
Session #5: July 6 - July 20
Session #6: July 13 - July 27
How to Apply
Complete the application, have it approved by both your Scout Executive and Lodge Adviser, and receive parental permission if you are under age 18. Mail your completed application and $50.00 deposit to:
Order of the Arrow
Boy Scouts of America
P O Box 152079
Irving, TX 75015-2079
For more information, visit OA High Adventure.