Friends of Scouting
What is Friends of Scouting?
Friends of Scouting is an annual campaign where the Bay Area Council asks Scouting families, businesses and civic-minded citizens to support our mission of providing the Scouting program to thousands of Scouts all along the Texas Gulf Coast. One-hundred percent of funds generated stays local to support the youth in our area.
Why should I give to Friends of Scouting?
Friends of Scouting has to provide 30 percent of the money needed to operate the Bay Area Council's Scouting camps, programs and facilities for a calendar year. That's almost one-third of the budget. These camping and training facilities are the "outdoor classrooms" in which Scouts have fun, learn leadership skills and develop into better young men and women. The Bay Area Council spends approximately $200+ per Scout each year to deliver these benefits and much more.
I already paid my child's registration and his unit collects annual dues. Haven't I already supported Scouting?
Your child's registration BSA fee of $24 annually goes directly to the National Office of the Boy Scouts of America. If your child's Scout unit collects dues, that money stays with the unit. None of that money helps the Bay Area Council which needs financial help to:
- Maintaining and staffing the council's camping properties and service center.
- Building new projects and updating Camp property.
- Electricity, water, and phone service for camping properties and service center.
- Insurance on thousands of youth and adults, that includes medical and liability property insurance.
- Training thousands of adult volunteer leaders in youth protection, leadership specific and Wood Badge training.
- Purchasing and maintaining Equipment for program use, consumable, reusable and worn out.
- Providing programs like Cub Scout Day Camp, Cub Scout Adventure Days, Cub-O-Ree Campouts, Webelos Resident Camp, Native American Weekend, Boy Scout Summer Camp, Boy Scout Fall Camp, Boy Scout Winter Camp, Camp-O-Rees, Order of the Arrow events, National Youth Leadership Training, Venturing Activities, Sea Scout Programs, Scout Day Events and individual unit camping on facilities.
- Providing Scout Assistance for youth in need, community outreach character education programs, handbooks and camperships.
Friends of Scouting is Tax-deductable
Your donation to Bay Area Council Friends of Scouting is 100 percent tax deductable. Bay Area Council is a 501c3 Non-profit organization. For companies, a W-9 acknowledgement can be sent with your tax donation receipt. Your Friends of Scouting donation will also qualify for Company Donation Matching Programs, so your gift could be worth twice as much.(Any donation given directly to an individual unit is not tax-deductable and cannot qualify for Matching programs because a unit does not fall under the Council's 501c3 due to chartering.) If your company has a matching gift program, only you can initiate and send in the form to the Council office. Once the form is received, then the Council can finish the process with your company. Please check your company website or Human Resources for specific information.
If you give through your company with United Way, please make sure you mark off your allocation for BAY AREA COUNCIL BOY SCOUTS. Then you can be assured that your money is staying locally for your youth. If you do not allocate specifically for an organization, then please consider doing a one-time donation directly to Friends of Scouting.
We need your support, participate and become a Friend of Scouting!
Please consider a donation to the Friends of Scouting campaign. There would not be the Scouting program for the youth in this area without the Council. No gift is too big or too small. For more information about Friends of Scouting please contact the Council Service Center at 409-744-5206.
To mail in a donation or to set up a billing option, please use the FRIENDS OF SCOUTING BROCHURE
Make checks payable to: Bay Area Council. BSA Memo line: Friends of Scouting 2014. Mail to: Bay Area Council, 3020 53rd Street, Galveston, TX 77551
For online donations, please click on your city or your District if the city isn't listed:
COASTAL DISTRICT FOS DONATION
Galveston - League City - Texas City - Santa Fe - Hitchcock - Dickinson - Bayclif - Bolivar - Kemah - Clear Creek Area
NORTHERN STAR DISTRICT FOS DONATION
Friendswood - Pearland - 288 Corridor
THUNDERBIRD DISTRICT FOS DONATION
Alvin - Manvel - Angelton - Danbury Area
CRADLE OF TEXAS DISTRICT FOS DONATION
Lake Jackson - Freeport - Sweeny - Clute - West Columbia Area